So you have made the first step to scaling your business to a new level. You have chosen an OBM as your success partner as you work towards your next level of growth, getting you out of the day-to-day running of your business and working with the team to turn your goals into reality.
Your OBM is here to help you build a strong foundation for your business, including:
- Establishing a habit of quarterly planning. This is so that you and the team are always clear on goals and objectives (no more flying by the seat of your pants!)
- Working with the team. Your OBM is there to ensure that the right people are doing the right things, and everyone is empowered to do their best work
- Streamlining your operations – documenting processes and creating systems that allow for work to be done efficiently and effectively
- Driving progress – it’s the role of the OBM to ensure that progress is being made towards established goals, and to
- Clearing YOUR plate. This allows you to focus your efforts on CEO-level activities and growing the business (instead of running it!)
So what can you expect in the first 90 days of working together?
Here are some tips to ensure you build a successful working relationship with your OBM:
- It is your role as CEO to cast the vision for the business and clearly communicate what you are working toward. You need to know where you want to go so that your OBM can create a plan for the next 90-days. Steer the ship in the right direction!
- It takes time for the OBM to get to know your business! Your OBM won’t need to be trained in how to manage a business, but they do need to learn about your business. They need to learn how you do things. Create space to properly onboard your OBM. Allow time for them to get to know all that they need to know.
- Know that hiring an OBM will NOT magically solve all of your business challenges in the first 90 days. You will need to agree on top priorities (max 3!). Allow your OBM to work through those priorities at a reasonable pace (probably slower than you’d like, remember, they are still learning your business!).
You can get everything you want, just not all at once 😉
- Expectations are key. Be prepared to communicate what you are expecting (what success will look & feel like for you) so that the end result you desire is easily understood. The more clear you can be upfront, the more likely you will get what you are looking for.
- Communication is also key. Expect to give and receive ‘excess’ communication in the first 90 days, until you understand each other’s styles and have built trust.
- Be willing to let go. OBMs are leaders, not followers. Expect your OBM to jump right in, take the lead on projects, and get things off your plate. This is what they are trained to do, this is what the business needs them to do.
- Know that you don’t actually want your OBM to think or be exactly like you. Their way may look different from how you have or would do things, that’s OK (part of letting go). Each of you is going to bring unique approaches to the table, and the business needs both.
- Expect some bumps along the way. Things may not feel amazing in week 1 while you learn to work with each other. When things don’t feel perfectly smooth, communication and collaboration will be the key to getting on track. Don’t throw in the towel too soon!
When we come together with clarity, purpose, and patience in the first 90 days all things are possible. Think you are ready to take the next step and go to the next level in your own business – I’m here to help you do this. Let’s connect for a strategy call and see where to go next!